Expert Consultation on International Standards and Sexual Exploitation
The Consultation builds upon commitments undertaken at the previous two World Congresses and the UN Study on Violence Against Children. It will anticipate the discussion of the World Congress Theme 2 "Legal Framework and Enforcement" and provide a platform for expert debate on the implementation of international standards and the development of national legal frameworks and their enforcement. Particular attention will be given to the CRC and its Optional Protocols and key regional instruments and standards. The Consultation will focus on Europe and at the same time bridge and facilitate exchange with experiences in other regions.
In particular, the Consultation will pursue the following objectives:
- Promote multi-stakeholder discussions on a rights based approach to child protection and the implementation of international standards, with particular attention to the protection of children from sexual exploitation;
- Contribute to conceptual clarity in the international debate on legal frameworks relevant to the issue of sexual exploitation of children and related child protection concerns;
- Provide inputs, including good practices and innovative approaches in Europe and in developing countries, for the thematic paper on "Legal Frameworks, procedures and enforcement" in preparation for World Congress III;
- Explore the convergence of international developments and debate on the protection of children from sexual exploitation and the UNICEF Child Protection Strategy adopted in 2008;
- Provide concrete recommendations for World Congress III